Sunday, November 5, 2017

Day three + updated itnerary

Woke up in ATL, and quickly got on the road - destination: NOLA! My route was 85 to 65 to 10, it was so easy I didn't use a GPS except when I first mapped my route.

Stopped at a few rest stops, these welcome signs have become my progress markers - so anytime I pass a new one, that's one state closer to LA :)

Luckily almost no traffic, probably because its Saturday - but its not like I really know what day it is anymore. I was trying to avoid rush hour still, haha. When I got close to the FL state line and started seeing signs for Pensacola while it was 82 degrees... I did consider taking a little detour.

First, Alabama rest stops were so terrible - especially after how awesome the ones in Georgia were. Also yes, this is my life now that I am comparing the quality of rest stops from one state to the next... ugh save me, haha. Mississippi was just a blip on my journey, I literally just stopped to take the photo. People have seen me doing this and offering to take it for me - but I have the selfie angle down so I tent to pass on the offer. Even though I clearly look like some crazy millennial taking selfies. Sometimes I just wish I could have a sign on my back that says "my mom asked for this photo" so people understood. But oh well!

At some point during this drive, I crossed time zones - I only realized because I thought I must have been driving so fast to be making such good time! (yes, I was speeding but not THAT fast) Getting to Louisiana was fun, but also sad. I was on the phone with my sister, and literally got off for about 5 mins to take my awkward selfie and run back to the car. I thought as a milestone, it was closer to LA than it actually is. Disappointing temporarily, but quickly got over it because I was really looking forward to getting to New Orleans!!! Luckily for me, I had a cousin of a friend who welcomed me into their home and their plans, so I got to watch the LSU game at a house party in the Garden District and drive down the parade route for Mardi Gras and see all the beads in the trees. Makes me excited to come back for the real thing!

After the house party, we went to a dive bar a few blocks away. Apparently bars in Louisiana don't have a close time (until Baltimore at 1:30am) which seems like a terrible idea to me, because nothing good happens in Baltimore on a night out after 2am! I guess people here are used to it and are good at knowing when to go home. Or they are all well seasoned alcoholics, who knows?









Either way, it was nice to get somewhere on time - and I was absolutely exhausted by the time I fell asleep. I updated my travel plans now that I seem (knock on wood) to be on schedule. Don't hold me to it or anything, but generally here is my plan as of night 3:
 





No comments:

Post a Comment