Friday, November 10, 2017

Day Eight - procrastinating the unavoidable

Tomorrow I have to drive to El Paso, this is worthy of procrastination because its a 9+ hour drive and I have never driving this far in one day before in my life. I suspect the drive from MD to Nashville was similar, but I had my sister with me then!

Today was a day that started with a lot of exciting activities, such as fixing my speakers, putting air in my tires (due to temperature changes), getting more mouthwash, all that fun stuff.

Rocket Pizza + Triple Chocolate Brownie



















Yesterday I called to schedule a trail ride because TX. So once I got all my errands done, I headed that way since its an hour out of town. On the way, my friends suggested an awesome brick oven pizza place called Pieous, and it did not disappoint. My trail ride was very relaxing, and I'm glad I got in some time at the barn - I haven't ridden in years and basically forget how to do it.

me and Badger!


Once I finally got back to town, my local friend took me on a tour of where he works - this super cool place called Mobile Loaves and Fishes. It originally started as a way that a group of friends regularly brought food to the homeless population in ATX but what its grown to is astounding! The place I visited is called the Village, its a place that provides affordable, permanent housing and a supportive community for the disabled, for about 250 chronically homeless people.

a few of the residences
Each trailer or tiny home is specific to that resident, there is a health clinic on site, a city bus stop, and a market including food grown at the Village.

The requirements to qualify/stay there are non-traditional (ex. sobriety not required, pets allowed) and beyond having so many awesome features and amenities available, there is a lot of focus on helping provide income to the residents - including many jobs at the Village itself (cleaning, preparing food) plus opportunities to use facilities at the Villages (ex. blacksmith shop, carpentry shop, art/ceramics studio) to create sell-able merchandise.

The whole thing is just really awesome. I can't say enough good things about it, and I can't wait to come back to visit and see how much its grown! Check out more details here: https://mlf.org/community-first/

I also booked my airbnb for tomorrow - while I'm not excited about the drive, I am happy to have planned ahead a bit for once on this trip!




No comments:

Post a Comment