Sunday, November 5, 2017

Day four - NOLA

I have noticed that if I don't write this post before I go to sleep, I forget half of what happened that day. You're all welcome that I'm staying up late just to get all this info to you!

Last night I also talked to some people about fun things to do while I'm here and on the rest of my journey. Got some good ideas on outdoors experiences near El Paso in NM, so I'm excited to have some motivation there! The drives will be long/boring once I make it out that way I've heard.

Today was the first day that I woke up and didn't plan to drive 6-8 hours - and that felt amazing. I got to be a tourist, and it was a blast! I started at the French Quarter around 9:30/10am and went through the whole flea market, and then the food marketplace. Started considering Groupon for some fun things to do in the area - but its not the best for last minute plans. I think tomorrow I'm going to see if I can squeeze on a tour since Mondays will be less busy, hopefully.
string dolls - custom star wars even!

artisan work for sale
I considered a couple of items for purchase, but ultimately got nothing. Which is fine, because I literally just got rid of half my stuff since I have too many things already. My next and most vital stop was at Cafe du Monde (obviously) for some beignets. They were delicious of course, and also pretty quick - which is good when youre me and trying to do as much as you can. I walked all up and down the streets between Jackson Square and the French Quarter, so many shops/bars/restaurants/art galleries to see! Then I went to Jackson Square and explored around there as well. Lots more artists actively painting, and a whole block full of fortune tellers/tarot card readers. I skipped on that opportunity though.





obligatory stop!
this is all the hype!!

Next I stopped in a sports bar on the way back to my car to catch the second half of the Ravens game. We did not win, but we didn't play as terribly as we have - so I'll take it! Then I headed out to check out the Tulane campus/area and pick up some snacks.
masks
beads

boas

Apparently my gracious hosts insisted on making dinner, which was outstanding, and then we all watched some Stranger Things together. Overall a really great day, and I was so happy not to spend the majority of it in the car!

Tomorrow I continue the super touristy stuff... possibly some more planning and updating my itinerary to reflect some recent updates. Should I try to squeeze in the Grand Canyon? some beach time? An extra day in Phoenix?

The beauty of all this is that every day I wake up, I have the world at my fingertips and get to decide what I'm going to do. Its been such an adventure so far, and I have loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment