Thursday, November 2, 2017

Baltimore to LA - the moving chronicles

I literally forget how to do this blogging thing, but in an effort to avoid telling the same stories over and over again, but still wanting my people to know what's going on - here I am digging this blog out of the depths of back when I was in college.

First I think I need to start off by thanking many people...

Most obviously Luke, who was brave enough originally to agree that moving somewhere far away with great weather would be a fun adventure. Thank you for reminding me that the time is now to make the most of life. We never narrowed down to a specific place, but that first inspiration to get the ball rolling on moving made this timeline realistic. I am super grateful to have had many months to consider what this would look like without having to be too spontaneous (we all know how type A that I am).
Juice after yoga in Long Beach


My sister, who was smart enough (I may have made a very strong recommendation) to move there first. She has had me to visit multiple times, peaking my interest and confirming LA as my destination. She was also one of the first people to take me seriously when I mentioned the idea, checking in always and asking "so when are you moving here?" and now I finally have an answer! Thanks for continuing to be the pesky annoyance in my life that I could never live without. I may be vehemently telling people we are not planning to live together, but I know your checking in has encouraged me to continue pursuing this dream and kept me focused on the end goal.

My parents, and specifically my poor mother, who endured the week+ of packing/organizing/unpacking/repacking/cleaning because it takes a saint to deal with type-A me when I am trying to move from a 1,200 sq ft apartment to one small car worth of belongings. I literally could never have done it without the help. For the record, I was not fully successful and I will have to ship about half my stuff - but hey, I tried! I know that having one daughter move slowly across the country for school etc.over a 3-4 year period is much more manageable than the one who is an hour away suddenly announcing at dinner that I will be 3k miles away within the next 2 months. I know you are sad, but thank you for realizing that I am finding the happiest version of me, and valuing that over having me stay physically close to you.
Peace out storage unit!

My closest friends Sierra, Jamie, and Dana who have been there for me in SO many ways recently besides just supporting my move. Thank you for keeping me grounded/sane and even though you might have tried to convince me multiple ways/times that I didn't actually want to move - I know its because you value our friendship so much and that is the biggest compliment. Mentally, I would never be able to make this move without your constant support, you are my #1 cheerleaders.

My new roomies, who have become a second family to me. Taking me in off the streets (aka craigslist) and letting me do things like quasi adopt your dog, plan tacos nights, and buy disco balls for kitchen dance parties. Thank you for unequivocally welcoming me into your home and your lives, sharing not only a living space but also your friends with me. The space you provided was the perfect cocoon in which I could safely rediscover myself after a huge life change and prepare for this big adventure of moving to LA. I could never have imagined how awesome the dynamic is with us, and how much fun we all had together - we made memories I will never forget! (this includes our newest official roommate Rob + Cooper and everyone I met through Stacey and Amanda, y'all seriously rock!!)
My TV watching bestie


My extended family, friends, and coworkers who have just literally LITERALLY overwhelmed me with support, encouragement, and enthusiasm at every turn. Thank you to everyone who believed in me, who believe in chasing your dreams, and that being truly happy is the biggest success you can achieve in life. Also thank you to everyone who doubted me, because you gave me a little extra motivation too!

Celebrating the day I found out I could keep my job/work remotely!

The most common question I get asked when I say I'm moving to LA is "Why?" To which I typically respond, "Why not?". I am not and never will be someone to settle for less when I know I can do/be/find better. Its easy for any of us to make excuses as to why moving to LA (or whatever similar goal) is not possible, but I've never been one to make excuses - and so I leave you with this quote that I chose back in my senior year of college to represent how I felt about getting along in the world...



“People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment