Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Week 2.5

Just a few days have passed since the last post, but I have only a few days left here in Costa Rica so I want to make sure that I don’t forget to write anything.

Manuel Antonio Refuge - $10 entrance fee
Saturday we left at 6 for the beach.  We had a couple setbacks but luckily nothing too major.  We made it onto the sand by 12.  There wasn’t great sun, however the view was spectacular.  I don’t really think that pictures can do it justice; it was so pretty.  We were on the pacific side for everyone that just asked my blog, the beach is called Manuel Antonio – its also a protected park.  It was a very nice day, and we all had a nice dinner at a local restaurant after.

The food stealing monkeys!
Sunday the weather was much hotter, it was extremely humid both days though. After yesterdays lack of tannable weather I decided to make sure something good came out of today so myself and a couple friends decided to rent some surfboards, so I spent the rest of the day surfing.  And no, I can’t actually surf but I sure will float around on my board and try when I find a good wave.  We also enjoyed watching the monkeys try to steal everyone's food!  I also enjoyed the hotel pool right before we had to leave.  Going back home to Curridabat was a shame, but I guess we had to for class Monday.

With the Pacific Ocean
Monday actually was a fun day of class because we had our festival of fruits.  They brought in all of the tropical fruits that were in season for us to try.  It was interesting, but I must admit that I didn’t find anything new that I really liked.  Tasted some really different fruits though.  After class we had a lecture about the education system, that I found very interesting.
 
Hotel Pool (my room is on the right)
Tuesday we had another regular day of classes. After class we went to the local campus of the Universidad de Costa Rica Public universities only cost $40 a semester, if you can believe that.  We had a presentation on the community service the students do there.  Each student is required to complete 300 hours of community service to graduate.  They do the work with other students of their same concentration as well as others to learn how to work cooperatively within the community and interdisciplinary.  Most of the time they work in areas of extreme need; the idea is that when they join the workforce they will understand they are working for the greater good of the country and not just "plata" (money).  I think this is a concept that could and should be applied to every college across the world, some people just don't realize what they have or how much help their community might need.


always,
a

No comments:

Post a Comment